
The biggest problem here was that no more than a few rows of the crowd could see overly self-deprecating frontman Fyfe Dangerfield thanks to the Academy's low stage and the fact that, surrounded by a bank of keyboards which were regularly used for a brilliant range of weird noises, he sat down for almost the whole set.
This was probably the main reason for less than rapt attention from many as it surely couldn't have been the songs, which sounded even more unfailingly incredible and cynicism-removing than last time, with main set closer Sao Paolo in particular seeming to last 15 minutes without ever being less than awe-inspiring. An a capella, standing-on-a-chair Blue Will Still Be Blue (shown above) did find silence, through its simple beauty as well as much as actually being able to see, but it's the moments when they throw everything at a song which are the most amazing, Go Away's manic ending the best example. I left wondering why I bought tickets to one of their two forthcoming King's College shows.

(thanks to Ada for the photos!)
1 comment:
Hey, thanks a lot, glad you liked it!
Thanks for the song offer too but I actually just bought the EP this evening (they import these things fast!) so I don't need it anymore.
I didn't realise that Sake was the name for short intro to Trains To Brazil that they play live but oh well, I get a video and I didn't have the I Saw Such Things In My Sleep EP tracks on CD before either so I didn't TOTALLY waste my money!
Just added your blog to my links by the way, will get thinking of some B-sides for you!
Post a Comment