26.5.06

Free music Friday (26/05/06)

  • Fans of Stars will already be aware of Amy Millan's fine voice: she's now taken up the popular pursuit of a country-based solo album to show it off on. "Honey From The Tombs" is out next week in Canada but will take til July to reach UK shores; you can get first single "Skinny Boy" for free on label Arts&Crafts' site now though.

  • Boston's The Cinematic Underground have been around a while, it seems, but I've only just heard them and they do a rather good line in dramatic, melancholy indie with a sprinkling of experimentation (which owes a debt to Radiohead circa Talk Show Host). Listen to possibly their best moment:
    The Cinematic Underground - Carparks & Cubicles


In this week's covers section:
  • Skatterbrain have The Pipettes taking on "I Think We're Alone Now", much to the dislike of some of their comments section.
  • And regular readers will already be well aware of my total Guillemots worship, but please believe me when I say that their version of The Streets' new single "Never Went To Church" (as streamed by NME.com) is exceptionally beautiful, almost-as-wobbly-as-the-original singing notwithstanding.

No comments: